Tuesday, August 1, 2017

An edible experiment

One of my two top (as in trains with me double sessions four times per week) personal training clients has decided to make August a vegan month.  Having recently watched a Netflix documentary called "What the Health", he and his wife have decided to eat an exclusively plant-based diet for a whole month.  I don't have Netflix so I downloaded the e-book and will read it this month.  However, if you do have Netflix, check it out:

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80174177

In the spirit of solidarity I said I would join him for a fortnight.  Two animal-free weeks.  I dutifully stocked up on veggie burgers, lots of organic produce* from Whole Foods, and reacquainted myself with a plethora of beans, pulses and legumes.  I tested (and liked) a frozen breakfast burrito from Amy's, for those hectic mornings and Manic Mondays.  I've pushed aside cow's milk for nut milks and will cook with olive oil rather than my traditional butter.  I'm taking a good quality multivitamin to make sure I don't run low on vitamin B12 or minerals like zinc and iron which are more abundant in and better absorbed from animal flesh than plant sources.

I am curious to find out if I notice any change in energy level or intestinal functioning.  I believe that humans are omnivores, but I also believe that much of the food available to modern day humans is poor quality, polluted, and full of junk and chemicals that are harmful to health.  Dairy products are full of hormones, eggs are from tortured force-fed chickens, and most of the meat consumed by people is NOT free-range/organic/grass fed/wild caught, etc.  Not to mention all the processed stuff that is called "food" which is really just sugar, salt, fat and chemicals!  I believe that when you drastically clean up your diet, get the crap out of what you're putting into your system every day, then your body will feel and function a whole lot better.

Thank goodness I can still enjoy my daily almond milk cappuccinos!  :-)

*Some, but not all, produce is important to buy organic.  Read a future posting about what you should buy organic and what you don't have to.  The lists are called the "Dirty Dozen" and the "Clean Fifteen".

No comments:

Post a Comment